Ida Hale-- I've been interested in learning more about Freeman Nickerson for a while. Our Sunday School teacher read to us a passage from a book about Parley P. Pratt's companion, Brother Nickerson, and having previously seen the Nickerson flag in the newsletter and learning of its history my interest was peaked. While searching in the family history catalog for Nickerson, I came upon a book, A Ripple in the Pond--The life Story of Freeman Nickerson, published in 2008.
I got a chance to go downtown and found the book. It was exciting. Photos of the family that I had not seen in a beautiful book filled with their life stories. I was able to read a little of it, but when I returned home I googled it and found it for sale. I was able to get in contact with the author, Maxine Rasmussen, who lives here in the southwest part of the valley. I was able to go to her home and hear some of her experiences in researching the book which is a culmination of 20 years of research. Through her research, she found the place the Nickersons lived for nine months in Iowa and where Freeman died. A newspaper editor called her and told her about a pioneer graveyard where Freeman is probably buried. That is where they will put the marker which will be financed by the sale of her book.
No comments:
Post a Comment