4/15/09

2003 - 28 May

Archives from 2003
The Barrus Family News
Descendants of Ruel Melvin and Zina Emeline Hale Barrus
Our Family Organization


Message from the Presidency -Noreen N. Larkin, chronologist:

Thanks again to all those who helped with our reunion last year in Deweyville. It was great to see so many of you there and to feel your love and support. Although Mother couldn't be with us she was praying for us and I know her prayers, as well as others, were answered. We had some great presentations from the families to help us learn more about Melvin and Zina's children. There were many who contributed as well as purchased from our "Country Store". This not only helped our family funds, but was enjoyable for the children.

One of the rewards of working with our family organization is getting better acquainted with you. Our family is growing fast and I'm sure yours are too. Since the first of this year my parents have five new great-grandchildren. We appreciate all those who are keeping our records so this information can be a part of our family history.

Our condolences go to Bevonne and her family at the death of her husband, Rex C. Birch. All of Lowell and Delsa's children were at the funeral held in Smithfield, May 12, as well as several other family members.

Most of Melvin and Zina's grandchildren are grandparents themselves now. In our last general conference Pres. Boyd K. Packer spoke to grandparents. He said, "You may at last, when old and feeble, learn that the greatest mission of all is to strengthen your own family. ....keep the fire of your testimony of the restored gospel and your witness of our Redeemer burning so brightly that our children can warm their hands by the fire of your faith. That is what grandfathers and grandmothers are to do! That is the example of our grandparents and I'm sure what they would desire of us.
Love, Noreen


Miracles in Juniper!
from a note written by Aunt Lillian, May 16, 2003:

Just a few years ago, Stan’s daughter, Christene had two little girls. That was all here in Juniper for the next generation. But since then Christene has had one more girl. Stan’s Ben has two girls, and Paul’s Bryce in Sanford’s home has one girl. Now two of Zeldon’s sons have their homes in Zeldon’s yard; Josh has two girls, and Jeremy two boys. All of those little ones under three years! Now all juniper needs is more boys!


From “Life Story of Zina Emeline Hale Barrus”

I was born in Gentile Valley, Bannock County, Idaho, June 11, 1888, two years before Idaho became a state. I am the youngest daughter of Alma Helaman Hale and Ellen Victoria Clark. My father had three wives, my mother being the third one. Mother's children are: Edgar, Aroet, Arthur, Franklin, Rosa, Alvin, Eugene, and myself. I can remember when I was two years old, and Edgar was married. We lived in a two room house with a dirt roof. I can remember Mother taking our beds out to set the table for the wedding supper. Edgar and Emm were coming from Hyde Park after having been married in the Logan Temple. Mother had curled my hair in paper curlers. I remember sitting in my little rocking chair playing with my doll. Mother had the table all set and was waiting for the wedding party to come. I went and got the scissors and cut off all the paper curls. I caught them in my apron and took them to Mother.

I don't remember seeing my father until I was five. His picture was on the wall, and when people asked me about him, I would show them the picture and tell them, "This is my Father." One day as I was out playing he came riding up on his horse. He told me he was my father. I hugged him because he looked like the picture on the wall which I loved so much.

When I was five years old Arthur and some of the others built us a large log house. I was Arthur's "pet", and I was always with him, including the time he was building the roof. I was not very well until I was five so Mother had me stay out in the fresh air and sunshine as much as possible. After this Arthur took a job shearing sheep that required him to camp out in cold rainy weather. He got inflammatory rheumatism and was sick for a year. I stayed by him most of the time, brought him food and water and other things he wanted. I stayed with him one day while Mother was at Primary. (She was Primary President). The doctor came from Salt Lake, and I would not let him in. Mother had told me to keep him quiet and not let anyone in. One Sunday our entire ward fasted, and a lot of the brethren came to our home and had prayer and the Sacrament, then gave him a blessing. The little children fasted too, lots of us from Saturday night until Sunday night. He began to get better, and soon he was well enough to go to the Logan Temple where he worked for about three years. I went with him once and was baptized in the Temple. I was eight years and nine months old.



Coordinating Family History Work: “A Representative from Each Family Branch”

Aunt Lillian expresses her appreciation to those who have sent family record information, but she still isn’t getting very much response. Please, as soon as there is a birth, baptism, endowment, marriage, etc., send the information by email or letter, or phone. Don’t wait to collect a few at end of year.

Aunt Lillian wrote that she wants to continue keeping the chronology record for as long as she can do it all right. Her daughter Noreen will assist and continue this work in the future as Lillian desires.

At the 2000 reunion, each family designated a contact person to relay their family’s chronology information to Lillian. For those of us chosen to carry on this responsibility, now may be a good time to take stock of how well we are doing. Perhaps we could take the initiative to make the calls and save Aunt Lillian from having to do it. This is my suggestion for myself!

Aunt Lillian began doing research when she had to copy everything by hand. How grateful she is for her computer, the copiers, and so many modern ways of doing family history, but there are so many things beyond her ability to keep up, so it is time for us to get busy.

We need to finalize our organization and get registered with our by-laws. This might be on the “To-Do” list for the steering committee (representatives from each family branch) at the next reunion. Those who have the interest and desire to get involved will want to read the suggested list of projects in the following column.


Coordinating Family History Work: “Projects" [Job Descriptions]

The contact person who reports chronology for each family should also make known any Family History projects or research that are being undertaken within your families. Report your projects to “The Barrus Family Circle” and to Lillian. By making your projects known, others with similar interests may become aware of your work and connect with you. It may save time and duplication of work. Some possible projects mentioned by Lillian include:

1. Correction of mistakes in Pedigrees and Family Groups: Find where mistakes are and the right information with the source, get corrections made in Ancestral File, and other places necessary. Aunt Lillian needs to explain a lot of these things—who is interested in learning?

2. Research: Check existing records, find where ordinances have not been done; research; give the records found to those in charge of having names for others to get, to take to temple.

3. Temple work: Get names from Research committee, and have available when others ask for them to take to temple.

4. Histories: To work on histories already written, add additional information, make it look better, add pictures, maps, pedigree, and his family group and those of his descendants. To have a CD Rom, and a good book for the family of Ruel Michael and Ida H. Barrus. Also to have a good book for the family of Ruel Melvin and Zina H. Barrus.

5. Histories: Compile histories that have not yet been written.

6. Chronology: To have one or more in each grandparent family responsible to give information of records, missionaries, and addresses—tell, phone, e-mail, or mail information to the one responsible for all of it.

Representatives have been installed from the families of Leola, Winford, Verla, Lillian, Rosalie, Delsa, Ruel and Neil to serve as each family’s contact person. The Representative should be the main “record keeper” for that family. Families should inform their representative as soon as a new birth, baptism,marriage or death can be reported. Thank you!

New News

If you know of events or special accomplishments, history projects, etc. that should be published in this Newsletter, please e-mail them to: [to be announced], 272 N 250 E, Morgan, Utah 84050. Phone-801-829-6481

2-Year Officers:

Margaret Bush, President
Ida Hale, 1st Vice President
Lloyd Austin, 2nd Vice Pres.
Conley Campbell, Secretary

Continuing Officers:

Lillian Barrus Nelson, Historian
Noreen Nelson Larkin, Chronology
Carla Nelson Exeter, Finances/Minutes
Ruel Barrus, Nominating Chairperson
Dorothy Campbell Little, Newsletter

Items to Order:

The Barrus CD Rom has been made available by Wayne Campbell for $8.00 each. It contains documents about each parent family, photo albums and contents of Lillian’s 3 disks:
¨ Barrus GED
¨ Groveland Homes, Family Missionaries, Address List, Cemetery Record
¨ Histories
E-mail your order to Wayne Campbell. If you have questions, contact:
Noreen Nelson Larkin, chronology
Conley Campbell, Secretary

Dues

Your financial support has always been appreciated. The suggested amount of $5 per family and The Country Store at reunions continues to cover reunion and mailing expenses.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it was an archive from 2003 where it was offered.

    ReplyDelete